Free COVID-19 Tests
Click here for information on how to obtain FREE COVID-19 tests for home use.
Drake University Head Start Protocols
COVID-19 changes, starting next week.
Drake University Head Start wants to keep children and staff safe. We need your help!!!
Due to new COVID-19 updates, there are many rules we need to follow to have your child safely come to school.
- Drake University Head Start (DUHS) will be following the guidance of the Iowa Department of Human Services (DHS), the Office of Head Start (OHS) and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and Drake University (DU) when making decisions for the program.
- Your child’s classroom may be closed more often and for longer periods of time to ensure a safe environment.
- You must monitor the health of your child and family daily at home.
- We will be asking you daily health questions about your child and family.
- You must be honest with us about your child’s health!
- DO NOT bring your child to school if he/she is sick. If you will not be bringing your child to school, you must call the classroom by 8:00 AM.
- We must have a working phone number for us to be in contact with you at all times.
BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE HOUSE:
- Only one adult may come to the door when dropping off and picking up your child and only the child will be allowed in the classroom.
- That adult must be wearing a mask for pick up and drop off.
- No personal items (blankets, stuffed animals) can be brought to school with your child.
- Program staff will assess your child’s health and take your child’s temperature before the adult dropping off leaves the child at school.
CHANGES AT SCHOOL:
- Our staff will be wearing masks or face shields daily.
- Children (ages 2 and older) will be wearing masks daily, except during meals and rest time.
- Drake University Head Start will supply face masks.
- You can send your child with a mask from home. It will be sent home daily and you must wash it daily. Or send a clean mask. DUHS will not wash your masks and will not be responsible for lost masks.
- Your child’s classroom will be cleaned daily and more often as needed.
- You will not be able to enter or visit your child in the classroom to limit the chance of exposures.
- All of the meals provided for your child will be served by our staff and will not be served family-style.
- Toothbrushing will not be done in the classroom to avoid extra un-maked moments together.
Information may change at anytime as guidance changes often. When changes are made, we will pass along the information to you. If you have questions please contact, Heidi J. Ball, RN, Health & Nutrition Manager, Drake University Head Start 515-271-3771.