The Discovery Garden, a resource library for staff, is a component of the Drake University Head Start Program that enhances program curricula and provides means for staff to explore and implement various ideas and materials.
A library catalog of over 5500 materials is available to all staff in the Drake University Head Start Program, in addition to child care partners and designated CDA class participants.
- Books (Spanish and English)
- Music CDs
- Gross Motor Skill Enhancing Materials
- Fine Motor Skill Enhancing Materials
- Computer Games
- Literacy Kits/Home Visiting Activities
- Parent Resources
- Dramatic Play Boxes
- Big Books
- MANY OTHERS
Staff resources are available on topics such as: classroom management, family issues, parent involvement, mental health awareness, literacy, children with special needs, and many others.
Most materials may be checked out for 2- 4 weeks.
Services Available to Staff
- Make and Take Area (laminating machine, die cuts, etc.)
- Call in with requests on various topics/materials and Discovery Garden staff will send out information via the courier service that runs bi weekly or prepare for your immediate pick-up convenience.
- Topics can be researched by Discovery Garden staff to help program staff prepare activities/lessons for children and families.
Staff are welcome to visit the Discovery Garden at anytime. Please call in advance for information on hours of operation. A courier service is available on a bi-weekly basis for delivery to and from DUHS programs.